Monday, August 22, 2016

About the Blog


Finally, I decided to start a blog on my personal experiences on my spiritual journey - my ‘journey of discovery’ in this existence called Life. I deliberated about that. I wondered if people would be interested, whether it would be interesting enough. At the end, I decided to do it for myself, for the fun of it. People who are interested are most welcome to ‘follow’.

I will try to write regularly but understand that I am not the most, proficient or eloquent writer. Sometimes it might take a while for me to come up with something. So, please be patient. However, in between my writing, I will post stuff I gathered in the course of my search for answers, so that there will always be something new for you to read when you visit.

Here goes:

I was young, bored, restless and I kept wondering what life was all about. I felt there was more to life. I was determined to find out what else is out there.

One day, I saw an advertisement in the papers, ‘inviting’ all who were interested to know about life and the afterlife to send for the free booklet. I sent for a booklet. It contained more leading, intriguing questions. If I wanted the answers I had to sign up for a correspondence course. I did that.  I signed up for a correspondence course with an organization call the Rosicrucian Order. I guess you can say that was the beginning of my spiritual journey – although I didn’t know it at the time.

The course was interesting. I was able to grasp the basics, but it was too mystical, mystifying, mysterious and profound for someone in his early twenties. It was also expensive. After a couple of years, I had to stop.

However, I didn’t give up my search for answers. I joined a temple as a devotee, to learn about Buddhism. It wasn’t a Buddhism Temple pe se. It was a Taoist / Buddhist temple. But there were enough Buddhist texts around. I read them all – and I was hooked on Buddhism.

The Buddhist texts were easy to comprehend – simple and straightforward. There were no hidden meanings or messages between the lines. Plenty of parables, or metaphors to illustrate a point. From the allegories, one could  easily draw parallels to situations or circumstances, making sense of all things. The part I liked most was the stress on self-reliance, and the non-reliance on supernaturals and imaginaries.

To be continued …

No comments:

Post a Comment