Sunday, November 27, 2016

Teachings of the Buddha

This is what convinced me Buddhism was for me. No blind faith, and no coercion. I listen to what was expounded, I think it through, and then I judge whether they are sensible, and then I decide whether to believe it or not.

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it. - The Buddha

As a wise man tests gold on a touch-stone, heating and cutting, so you, monks should test my words by practice, and not accept them simply due to the reverence to me. - The Buddha

If you judge by yourselves – these actions are not meritorious, these are wrong, these are despised by the wise and these are conducive to the prejudice and grief of him who commits them – then do shun them.
If you judge by yourselves – these actions are meritorious, these are right, these are praised by the wise, these are conducive to well-being for the happiness of him who performs them - then act accordingly. - The Buddha

No comments:

Post a Comment